10 Jun 2014

Things I Learnt from The Fault In Our Stars


This started with the intentions of being the worlds most unprofessional movie review, and as much as I would love to talk about the fabulous, and tragically fictional qualities of the most dreamy Augustus Waters, I think what should really be taken away from this moving picture masterpiece are the brutally honest messages about life and loss.

*Please play this song in the background as you read this. I listened to it as I wrote this, and trust me, it makes my lame motivational rant sound much more wise. CLICK HERE FOR ME! *

Yesterday afternoon I went and saw TFIOS with some of the most fantastic individuals my school has to offer. I made a bet with myself before the movie that I wouldn't cry. I didn't, which surprised me as much as it did my friends. Normally in sad or scary movies you tell yourself 'this isn't real' but the thing is with this story is that is real. Cancer is real. Love is real. Loss is real. As it quotes in the movie, they all demand to be felt.

As you can see, ever since seeing the movie I've been trapped in this profound daze of supposed wisdom, which I might add is now accompanied by the slow and thought provoking TFIOS soundtrack, which I simply could not resist buying despite the illogical prices of iTunes and the even more frustrating 'Album Only' songs. That in mind, I thought I'd share my thoughts on this teenage tragedy.

The first thing I took away from this is that life is precious. It is also unexpected. That is what makes it beautiful. We all pretend like we know this, but we don't. We still spend days on end wasted on stupid things, regret, talking bad about other people, Instagram. *Cringe*. But it will all pass. This movie really just refreshed that for me. Life is precious. It can change in an instant. Every single person that is in your life right now is there for a reason, and they might not be there much longer. Granted, they might not have cancer. But people come and go all the time. I've had 2 friends move schools, a friend move country, and a friend moving states soon. I'm so lucky to have spent time with all of them, and yeah, their still alive and everything but its not the same. So, don't be afraid to live in the moment sometimes. Say what you feel, and don't hold back.

The second, is that there is always hope. Where there is fear, there is hope, because every action has an equal, and an opposite reaction. Hope is my favourite word in the english language, because it is a force that can be described with no other word than the word hope itself. Hope is one of those uncontainable things, contagious, and with exponential benefits. So, get a little hope in your life, because it can cure cancer.

Finally, I've learnt pretending you can relate to people will not help them. If anything, its insulting. If a friend comes to you with something, don't pretend you can relate, because most of the time you can't. Similarly, how do you discuss a book you've never read. Just let people know you're their for them. As this beautiful story shows, all you really need is love.

Theres my brain dump of wonderfully random poetic bliss. Remember, it's a good life Hazel Grace.
Oh, and before I go, heres something that made me crack up. In the background of this scene theres a road sign, it says Eaton Drive. Divergent fans represent :)






No comments:

Post a Comment