27 Jan 2015

Interview With Annie Sebel // Editor Of Yen Magazine


Happy Tuesday! I realise today was the horrible day that many Aussies (me included) went back to school after a blissful 8 week break. I hope you all had wonderful first days, and if not - I'm about to make them a whole lot better! Today I am bringing you a post that I am just bursting with excitement about, an interview with writing legend Annie Sebel. Annie Sebel is the editor of Yen Magazine, the silent genius behind the wonderful words of Yen. I just adore Yen Magazine, and Annie Sebel is such an inspiration to me. Here she shares her advice on writing, insights into her life and other interesting tidbits about herself. Have a read and enjoy the pure awesomeness that is Annie Sebel.

1. Who are you?
Quite the existential question. Who am I? Where to begin? Professionally I’m the editor of Yen magazine, a magazine for creative cookies that I feel so lucky to be able to work on with such an amazing, talented team. I’m also a lover of Wes Anderson films, salt and vinegar chips, beach swims, lamingtons, travelling, a good yarn, laughing with friends, picnics, turquoise jewellery, daggy dancing and oh so much more.

2. What is your favourite word in the english language?
I love the words tundra and shenanigans, unfortunately they’re not the easiest words to work into every day conversations, but dammit I try.

3. Did you always want to be a writer?

When I was in year six at school we had to write an autobiography – mine was called Annie Gal Will Do for those playing at home. And even though we were only 11 years old, we had to detail what had happened in our lives up until then and write a chapter on what we hoped the future would be. In my future chapter I wanted to drive a Volkswagen Beetle, own a lolly shop and be a writer. I’ve achieved one out of the three, so that ain’t bad. I also wanted to get married at the waterslides…

4. How did you get into writing?
I always enjoyed writing and reading and have had a love of magazines since I was a teen (I’d spend free school periods in the library reading newspapers and magazines and I loved buying UK mag The Face – it was hugely influential on me) but I didn’t get into it professionally until after university. I studied an Arts Media and Communications degree at UNSW, where I focused on video editing. When I finished, I had a moment where I went, 'hang on, I don’t want to be stuck in a dark room by myself editing all day'. I decided I’d rather pursue writing and specifically working in magazines. I did a few short writing courses at UTS and a whole lot of work experience at different magazines and at The Powerhouse Museum. All the while I applied for a bunch of jobs. Finally I landed the role of Editorial Assistant at Smash HitsEmpire and Kerrang and my writing career began

5. What is your number 1 tip for teens who want to get into writing? 
Like anything, the more you do it, the better you get at it. So write, write, write. And rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. Also read. Lots. See how other writers craft stories, articles and essays.

6. What is the coolest thing in your wardrobe right now?I’m making my inner nine year old very happy with a black T-shirt with Good Times, in multicolour puffy print, across the front of it. You can’t be in a bad mood in a Good Times T-shirt.

7. If you became a famous rapper, what would your stage name be?
My boyfriend and I have joked that if we were DJs we’d be DJ Gift Wrap and DJ Nashi Pear. Yes, we sound less like rappers and more like children's party entertainers. Although the Wu Tang Clan name Generator tells me it would be would be X-pert Bastard. http://www.mess.be/inickgenwuname.php 
8. What is your life motto?
I don’t have one life motto as such but I’m a big believer in curiosity and a desire to learn more about the world and people around you and being open to different ideas.

9.What does your day look like as the editor of Yen magazine? 
It depends where in the magazine cycle we are. If it’s near the start we’ll be brainstorming new ideas for online and the magazine, then we move into organising them, locking in interviews, pic searching and writing. Then towards deadline it’s a lot of subbing and checking and then we send to print. In between we’re working on social media and online. Some days are filled with meetings, some are a lot of admin, some there are interviews with musicians and actors, some we’re organising events (for the Yen SAEDTLER Art Awards etc) and the most exciting days are when we shoot our cover stars.

10. Is there any exciting news from Yen HQ you can let us in on?

We have a new issue out this Thursday with a very exciting cover star. This year we’re also hoping to focus some more attention on online and give our website a bit of a refresh and new look

No comments:

Post a Comment